Monday, March 12, 2018

A Tale Du Mort

*Book source ~ NetGalley ARC
My review is voluntary and honest.
3 June 2016
Paranormal | Humor
322 Pages
My Rating ~ 3 bites

Once upon a time, Mort Oleander was the Gee Oh Dee (General Operations Director) of the dead in Under. But his asshat brother Sy started a revolution and Mort went Above to live. However, being the Gee Oh Dee is not as fun as Sy thought it would be so now he needs to get Mort back to do the drudgery once again. Mort is not having it. Sy made his bed now he can just drown in the paperwork. However, when Sy lets the dead out of Under to Above, all Hell breaks loose and it’s up to Mort, the responsible brother, to fix it.

Mildly amusing with a unique premise this rambling tale of the dead gone wrong could use a lot more editing. I even went back to my copy to see if I had been given an uncorrected proof. Nope. I didn’t see that anywhere, so points off for that. The characters are interesting, but the writing is a bit lacking in…something. I can’t quite put my finger on what it needs. Maybe more depth? Or maybe it’s meant to be this way. It is supposed to be a paranormal comedy. I think. I’m not exactly sure what the problem is, but it just didn’t completely grab my attention. It’s still entertaining though.

No comments:

Post a Comment